Prescott 3.28.19

After finding about Goldwater lake I knew I had to visit. Today was my second time visiting and I also took a short stop for a quick hike at Watson Lake which was an approximate 10 minutes away. The plan was to leave around 10 am (not the prime birding time but that's all the time I had.) First stop was Watson Lake... I didn't really bird much but I was happy with the time I got to spend there. I stopped by the boat dock first, which provided me with looks at some domestic GREYLAG GEESE and some CANADA GOOSE. On the way there I saw some RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS which were abundant. Not only did I bird around the dock area but I also headed north on a trail that provided me with looks at me newest lifer #171 the BUSHTIT. Man, these things are small and very hard to take good pictures of. One second they're perched for a perfect shot and the next they're on to the next tree. What really made me cherish this experiment was the fact that I was watching a fledgling beg for food from it's mother. That's actually how I found them. I heard they're chirping and it's begging and I had to find out what it was from. Turns out it was a lifer. It wasn't the most productive day at Watson but at least I saw the bushtits and hopefully I'll see something better at my upcoming lake; Goldwater.

Bushtit



Greylag Goose (Domestic:)

Ok, now I was off to Goldwater in search for the Woodhouse's Scrub Jay and the clown-faced Acorn Woodpecker. Upon arriving, it sounded dismal. No jay calls... woodpecker chattering. What I did hear was loud squeaking, which pointed to only one thing, the Brown Creeper. Sooner or later I did find that camouflaged fellow scurrying from tree to tree in search of grub. The BROWN CREEPER which is pretty much common throughout the United States is not usually seen because of it's expertise in camouflage. Here in the west their plumage differs from the eastern subspecies by being a more darker browner rustic color. It was my second time seeing one, but that didn't deplete anything from this great experience. Not only did I see this tree-clinging bird but I saw several nuthatches, the WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH to be precise. Now it was time to go on my hike. The first time I came here the jays were at the front of the lake around the boat-dock. So I knew I had to check it out. I arrived and I didn't see much activity. But I was soon to be proved wrong. After walking a few steps out popped the cerulean and gray jay. The beautiful WOODHOUSE'S SCRUB-JAY. Not only was he there but he brought a friend an AMERICAN ROBIN. They were both peacefully foraging while I was frantically trying to get a good shot. I ended up with good shots of the scrub-jay and I wasn't too concerned for the robin because I already have stellar shots and this particular robin was quite skittish. A few more steps lead me to the ACORN WOODPECKERS. These peckers are probably my favorite of all. They're clown faces and rambunctious personalities are just so welcoming into a coniferous forest. After ending with these fellows, I headed to the shore in search of some waterbirds. Not the most active day but there was a flock of RUDDY DUCKS, a few GREAT BLUE HERONS and some MALLARDS. On the trail I was accompanied with at least twenty RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS and at least twenty more red-backed DARK-EYED JUNCO. It amazed me on how many there were. Now the search was on for the Townsend's Solitaire. I headed to the summit where I heard the distinctive call, I even checked the Audobon App to make sure that it was the solitaire. I searched and searched for this thrush but it just wouldn't appear. What did, was a SAY'S PHOEBE and a BLACK PHOEBE. Two phoebes in one small little inlet of the lake. They were both distinctively flycatching for some gnats which were abundant around the marsh part of the lake. Overall it was a great day, I enjoyed the Acorn Woodpeckers, the little tiny Bushtits. and the Brown Creeper was a treat. Truly a well-worth spot to visit.

Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay

Brown Creeper

Acorn Woodpecker




White-Breasted Nuthatch



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Willow Springs and Woods Canyon Lake 5.20

Ashurst Lake 4.20